RUÍNA is a studio that develops architecture, exhibition projects, furniture, buildings, construction execution and consulting projects focused on the reuse of materials and construction waste, since 2020. Based in São Paulo - Brazil.
Julia Peres is an architect, graphic artist and founding partner - she was born in São Paulo and graduated from Universidade Presbiteriana Mackenzie in 2019. She studied at Universidad de Los Andes (Cartagena, Colombia) and soon after had her professional career in some architecture offices. She was part of the team for the 11th São Paulo Architecture Biennial. In 2019 she worked with the Ecuadorian studio Al Borde developing various types and scales of projects. In 2021 she worked with FIO Assessoria on projects for the improvement of occupied buildings, together with the social housing movement MSTC.
Victoria Braga is an architect, researcher and founding partner - she was born in Rio de Janeiro and graduated from Mackenzie Presbyterian University in 2019. She studied at the University of Buenos Aires (Buenos Aires, Argentina). She collaborated with the publisher Romano Guerra / Vitruvius (2015/16), with the IVM-Institut pour la Ville en Mouvement (2017) and was a member of Goma Oficina - transdisciplinary cultural association formed by architects, designers, photographers, producers and educators (2017 -2022). In 2021, she worked with the USINA CTAH technical advisory team for technical assistance actions (FABLEV-ATHIS). She is currently part of the Graduate Program in Archeology and Cultural Heritage at the Federal University of Recôncavo Baiano.
We value the process as a source of observed knowledge for an increasingly coherent practice and experimentation as a fundamental method for establishing other ways of inhabiting the world. We develop projects at different scales - from the building to the component -, from a close look at the local context and its inherent material-immaterial potential. Complementing the design practice, we investigate ways of appropriating the processes of construction, demolition and reuse of materials from activities and educational platforms.
AWARDS AND NOMINATIONS
- 2023FNA and ArqpopFinalistCreative solutions to the dilemmas of Brazilian communities
- 2023ArchdailyNominationArchdaily Building of the Year Award 2023 - Paraísos's Apartament
- 2022HabitabilityPrize1st Habitability Prize - Senses Category
- 2022IAB-SPPrize24th IABsp Award in the Architectural Culture Category - Techniques and technology
- 2022XII BIAUFinalistFinalist in the Acciones al Margen Category with the project RUÍNA Materials
- 2022ArchdailyNominationArchdaily Building of the Year Award 2022 - Carol Arbex's Store
- 2021OUIFinalistInter-American Award for Innovative Educational Models in Higher Education
- 2021IAB-SPFinalistCentenary Edition in the "Interiors and Design" category with the Carol Arbex Store project
- 2023WallpaperPublishSharjah Architecture Triennial 2023 celebrates the ‘beauty of impermanence’
- 2023WallpaperPublishArchitects Directory 2023: meet the practices
- 2023ArchdailyAnnouncementSharjah's Architecture Triennial - The Beauty of Impermanence: An Architecture of Adaptability
- 2023DezeenPublicationTwenty-five women architects and designers you should know
- 2023ArchdailyArticleMaterials and culture in transformation: the circular economy in architectural heritage
- 2023Arq.PopPublication(De)construct and Occupy: Reuse as a social and propositional practice
- 2023ArchdailyArticleMujeres en la obra de construcción: Opiniones, preocupaciones y visiones para el futuro
- 2023YoutubePodcastEP 29 - Senses: The reuse of materials in civil construction and architecture
- 2023HabitabilityInterviewRubble is raw material and inspiration
- 2022ArchdailyInterviewThe inversion of the project order through the reuse of materials
- 2022ArchdailyProjectParaíso's Apartament
- 2021ArchdailyProjectCarol Arbex's Store
- 2021ArchdailyAnnouncementRUÍNA launches catalog of construction materials recovered in demolitions
- 2023SATPanelExtraction Politics - Material Life Cycle
- 2023SENACLectureSenac Week of Architecture, Design and Landscaping
- 2023FADU UBALectureClass for Maestría en Investigación Proyectual
- 2023FAU USPLectureClass for History and Theories of Architecture I subject - AUH Department
- 2022Parsons PSDLectureRound table in the discipline Thinking Design For This Century - MFA
- 2022Fundo FICAWorkshopFrom Project to Home: Creative workshop with reuse of materials
- 2022FAU MACKSubject(De)construct and Occupy: Reuse as a propositional practice
- 2022Galpão ComumEventExhibition "A Casa"
- 2022RUÍNA MaterialsEventInauguration RUÍNA Materials